This weekend, I was able to see Inhumans in theatres. Personally, I really enjoyed it. I don’t entirely understand all of the bad reviews. So here is my review, point by point:
- Black Bolt – The actor did a good job, despite being unable to speak. I wish that he would have used ASL. Yes, that would be a plot hole, but I think that there would be a benefit to incorporating ASL.
- Medusa – I was disappointed that her powers were taken out so easily. However, I liked her inner anger. In addition, I am curious about her connection to Maximus’ ideas when she was younger.
- Gorgon – Him leaving the communicator on seemed short sighted. However, I definitely loved this character’s determination to continue the fight. I think that his team up with the humans in later episodes (as hinted at by the trailers) will showcase his leadership skills.
- Maximus – The royal family is hard to root for in general, due to the rigid class system that they support. This made it seem like Maximus is the protagonist, even though he is most definitely the villain. I understand that we should feel sympathetic towards the character, however, Maximus’ valid point muddled who the audience should be rooting for.
- Karnak – I liked the way his powers were presented. I wish that they could have explained his injury further, but hopefully, an explanation will come soon.
- Crystal (and Lockjaw) – She seems to be one of the smarter and more capable members of the royal family. She is one of the youngest members, yet was able to rescue her family. We didn’t get a lot of background on her, and I’m excited to figure out what happened with the whole “her parents hating the royal family thing”.
- Triton – We didn’t learn much about him, but hopefully we will in future episodes (if he survived).
- I think that the setup is interesting. I hope that the dialogue improves, as I found it a little cheesy. All in all, the characters appear to have room for growth and good storylines set up for them.